Updated on 9 April 2022
What does it mean PPS Number?
PPS Number mean Personal Public Service Number sometimes indicated as PPSN or PPS No.
PPS Number is your unique reference number to help you to access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland.
A PPS Number is always 7 numbers followed by either one or two letters.
If you register for new tax with Revenue, for example VAT or PAYE/PRSI, your VAT/PAYE/PRSI number will be the same as your PPS number.
What you need the PPS Number for?
You will need your PPS Number mainly for:
- All Social Welfare Services,
- The Free Travel Pass,
- Pupil ID,
- Public Health Services, including Medical Card and Drugs Payment Scheme,
- Child Immunisation,
- Revenue Schemes, including Taxation and Mortgage Interest Relief,
- Housing Grants,
- Driver Theory Testing and driving licences.
How to get a PPS number?
If you require a PPS number you need to apply directly at mywelfare.ie (if you are living in Ireland and have at least 18 years of age).
You will need:
1. MyGovID basic account
If you don’t have one, you can create one over on MyGovID.
You will need to upload photos or scanned copies of:
2. Your identity documents
You will be required to submit evidence of your identity such as a passport or national ID card, and
3. Reason for applying
For example, if you are applying for a PPS Number to take up employment, you must have a signed offer of employment from your employer confirming when your job is due to start or when it started. This letter should be on company headed paper with the employer’s contact details and employer/company registered number.
4. Proof of your address.
You need to show evidence of your address. The document must show your name and address and not be older than 3 months.
You can use any of the following documents:
- household utility bill,
- an official letter or document,
- a financial statement,
- property lease or tenancy agreement,
- confirmation of address by a third party such as a hotel or hostel administrator or manager, school principal or property owner,
- If you are staying with friends or relatives, an original household bill plus a note from the bill holder confirming your residency at the bill address is acceptable. This note can be written on the bill itself.
Source and more information:
Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
PPS Numbers Registration Centres