Posted on 1 Oct 2020 by Accountant
What does it mean PPS Number?
PPS Number mean Personal Public Service Number sometimes indicated as PPSN or PPS No.
PPS Number is your unique reference number to help you to access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland.
A PPS Number is always 7 numbers followed by either one or two letters.
If you register for new tax with Revenue, for example VAT or PAYE/PRSI, your VAT/PAYE/PRSI number will be the same as your PPS number.
What you need the PPS Number for?
You will need your PPS Number mainly for:
- All Social Welfare Services,
- Public Health Services – including Medical Card and Drugs Payment Scheme,
- Child Immunisation,
- Revenue Schemes – including Taxation and Mortgage Interest Relief,
- Housing Grants,
- Driver Theory Testing and Driver Licences,
- The HSE’s Civil Registration Service.
How to get a PPS number?
The department has temporarily postponed the current PPS number process due to the spread of Covid19.
However if you require a PPS number you need to apply directly to the department by email or post.
You will need to complete a REG 1 form, provide evidence of why you need a PPS Number, provide a copy of your Passport (or Driving Licence, ID card etc.) and provide proof of your Address.
The above documents need to be scanned/photographed an:
- mailed to PPSN@welfare.ie or
- posted to PPSN Applications, CIS Registration, Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection, Shannon Lodge, Carrick on Shannon, N41 KD81.
Proof of your Address
You need to show evidence of your address. The document must show your name and address and not be older than 3 months.
You can use any of the following documents:
- household utility bill,
- an official letter or document,
- a financial statement,
- property lease or tenancy agreement,
- confirmation of address by a third party such as a hotel or hostel administrator or manager, school principal or property owner,
- If you are staying with friends or relatives, an original household bill plus a note from the bill holder confirming your residency at the bill address is acceptable. This note can be written on the bill itself.
PPS Numbers for children
Children who are born in Ireland are usually given a PPS Number when their birth is registered with the General Register Office (GRO). This means you do not need to apply for a PPS Number for an Irish-born child.
For children who were not born in Ireland, the parent must apply for their PPS numbers.